Monday, October 6, 2014

The Power of a Flower

Just looking at an orchid brings a smile to my face.  I love flowers, especially orchids.

There's something very simple and zen about orchids.  Having any kind of beautiful, colorful flower in your home brings ambience, comfort and peace to your environment.

Keeping orchids alive is an entirely different battle.

During my years in funeral service, I've met only a handful of people who actually had luck with orchids.  One woman raised hundreds of orchids in a  little greenhouse. She got them to bloom and re-bloom each and every year.  It was an amazing sight.  She had a talent for growing plants and her family appreciated it, especially after she had passed away.  It was as though she left a gift behind.

Those of us who have the gift of sight are so very fortunate to see the beauty of a flower.  Even those who are blind, can smell the natural fragrance of a flower.

Recently, I visited a family friend who is in his 90s and completely blind now.  When I approached him and told him with a smile, "Hi, it's Pam..."  He said, "Hell, Pam, you look great."  I paused because I knew he was completely blind.  Yes, a blind man was telling me I looked great.  My response?  "Thank you, I feel great, too."  I think what he was saying was that I sounded as though I was doing well and he sensed that instantly.  When he closes his eyes, he remembers how something looked, but he misses being able to see so many delicious details around him.

Sight is something we often take for granted.

This week, take a moment and look around the world.  Look at the people you love, study their faces and appreciate being able to see them.  Look outdoors, look at the flowers and plants, and appreciate being able to see them.  Bring a flower indoors and put it where you can see it.  Look at your pets, love them, and see how they return their love to you.

The world is an amazing place... and sight is a gift you will remember even if you unexpectedly go blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment